The Group was established in 2008 through the Community Council as it was felt that the Memorial Park in the town was not being adequately maintained. We were initially called the Friends of the Memorial Park however changed our name to the present one when volunteers felt they had the capacity to improve other areas.
We have won various awards in the BEAUTIFUL SCOTLAND competition including BEST SMALL TOWN two years in a row. We have also been awarded the Stirling Council Provost's Civic Award. We continue our close working relationship with the Community Council.
In 2022 we were delighted and honoured to be awarded THE QUEEN'S AWARD FOR VOLUNTARY SERVICE. The formal presentation was made on Tuesday, 19 June 2022. The ceremony took place in the Memorial Park on a very warm afternoon. There was an excellent turnout of volunteers and invited guests to mark the occasion. The Lord-Lieutenant of Stirling and Falkirk, Alan Simpson presented the Award, comprising an engraved crystal and a Certificate signed by HM Queen Elizabeth the Second. In his remarks, the Lord -Lieutenant noted the long and impressive contribution the Friends have made to the appearance of Bridge of Allan since their formation in 2008.
We have over 120 members, all of whom pay an annual subscription. That being said there are only about 12 to 15 active volunteers plus a robust team who maintain the baskets and planters. We are a fully constituted group with a committee and office bearer.
To join please print and complete the above form and send to The Treasurer, Friends of Bridge of Allan, 1 Mount Hope, Bridge of Allan FK9 4RL.
The Group is funded through a variety of means:-
- Annual subscriptions
- Collecting cans
- Annual plant sale/coffee morning
- Community and other organisation grants.
To enhance the appearance of Bridge of Allan and help make it an attractive place in which to live, work and visit.
- Support the maintenance of Bridge of Allan's parks and other open spaces in partnership with Stirling Council and other agencies.
- Through schools and young people's organisations promote Community involvement in and awareness of Bridge of Allan's open spaces.
- Provide and maintain hanging baskets, planters and tubs throughout Bridge of Allan.
- Carry out activities in collaboration with Bridge of Allan Community Council.